March 05, 2009

Preparing for War or the Dark Ages

I don't know what's going to happen to our country. In fact, I'm pretty sure almost nobody knows. But if you think loony extremists who are always freaking out anyway are the only people too seriously concerned, you'd better look again. Most of us may not be as worried about preparing to protect ourselves and/or hunt our own food as we are simply about keeping our jobs. Nonetheless, there is a notable increase of late in Americans stocking up on ammo and guns.

Myself, I'm young and I don't care to go through the legal hassles... if things collapse, I'll just make a bow and arrow set out of plastic coat hangers, rubber bands and stakes (a relative of mine did this for fun a long time ago, it works great) and nunchaku out of the small logs in my backyard and anything I can find to serve as rope (I've never been trained in them, but I've toyed with the dynamics of string with and without weighty things on the end long enough that I bet I could teach myself... with enough practice... to be effective enough against common thugs, any animal I need to hit, and/or zombies, even if helpless against any real martial artist...). And I don't even have to go through legal hassles about non-gun weapons because I don't even have to make them ahead of a collapse because I've got what I need here. Meanwhile, going to college, I'm prepared if things don't collapse. Come to think of it, I'm covered.

So, folks, be aware, and put a little thinking into what you can do to be covered either way too, and then don't worry -- but do keep yourselves aware.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Lady W said...

I fully intend to learn to shoot a gun, someday.

Right now I'm learning attacks and defenses with a piece of elongated plastic, in anticipation of a switchblade (I'm not quick enough, yet ^_^).

And nunchucks are the most impractical weapon in the world, really. Not that that makes a difference to me. XD

March 06, 2009 3:43 PM  
Blogger Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

I would have thought that a cross between a good, club-like-whacking stick and a good, superspeed-and-whirl whip would be... nunchucks. I'd keep a handful of sticks in their plain form in case that should come in handier, of course, but I can't imagine the whippy aspect never being helpful.

March 06, 2009 4:12 PM  
Blogger Lady W said...

Oh, sure, just to use it for randomly whacking or flailing at things, fine... it could be deadly. But actually twirling it from the wrist and being able to both do it strongly enough and direct that crazy force to hurt someone without hurting yourself takes years. And years and years.

March 06, 2009 7:31 PM  
Blogger The Sojourner said...

Theocentrica--I intend to learn to shoot also. (I said this to a friend of mine once and he said, "You point the gun and you pull the trigger" with that particular "Duhhhh" look that only a teenage boy can manage. I've a feeling it's rather more complicated than that, however.)

March 08, 2009 9:25 PM  
Blogger Lillian Taylor said...

Scandalous! Guns! AHHH!

Sojourner-It's true, it is all that simple. It doesn't take long to catch onto at all. After three or four days, I aimed a gun at a lemon on a brick out in the middle of a field, and hit the center (of the lemon :D), so it really isn't hard. *g* You should try it. :)

Oh, and I liked the article. ^_^

March 15, 2009 5:47 PM  
Blogger Ambrose said...

For the record, the most widely recognized and feared sound is the sound of a pump-action shotgun. KACHICK! BLAM!!! According to a study, convicted felons (i.e. people in prison) all recognized the sound, and said it very much influenced their decision to enter a house.

March 16, 2009 11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home