January 20, 2009

On the Election of a Dark-Skinned Man

If you ask me, the striking thing is not that a black man was finally elected, but rather that there was ever a time when people were stupid enough to think such would be bad. Evil is the absence of due good. It is such stupidities as prejudice that are out of the ordinary in the proper sense of ordinary (not common, but rather rightly ordered), not things being as they ought to be. So I can see celebrating that the ordinary finally is becoming what it should be and certain evils are being remedied, but I think we've thrown our attention a bit too much toward what we ought to consider just plain old the way things should be and need to realize that the astonishing thing is the wrong way that we had to fix.

Of course, being in disagreement with our new president on some matters and especially on the matter of something I believe is an even graver evil than prejudice, and furthermore not being very agreeable to American politics and government in their current form at all, I'm not seeing much in the way of an overall gain today. I could say more on some other oddities related to such. However, I'd rather you just focused on the first point I raised: the extraordinary thing isn't what happened today, it's what happened in past days that today is supposedly remedying.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which, sadly, makes you a racist.

January 21, 2009 1:04 AM  
Blogger The Sojourner said...

Yeah, and anybody who objected to Hillary back in the primaries was sexist. I said several times that I'd be happy to vote for a woman if one ever runs who remotely agrees with my politics (and demonstrated that, I think, by voting for a female VP candidate...). It's the same with race. I don't care if a guy is black or white or purple with green polka-dots. I do care about his policies, and several of Obama's I find very disturbing.

January 23, 2009 12:52 PM  
Blogger Ambrose said...

Wait, Der Wolfanwalt. Did you say the good Cobbler was a racist? I've re-read his post, I'm not sure how you got that impression. Mr. Cobbler said that it was the right and normal thing for a black man to be considered electable.

If that's not what you meant, forgive me. I might have read your comment wrong.

Again, Cobbler, great post.

January 23, 2009 2:44 PM  
Blogger The Sojourner said...

I think he was pointing out the irony. I apologize, by the way, if my own comment was overly confrontational in tone. I get cranky about these sorts of things.

January 23, 2009 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home