January 02, 2008

New Year (late)

Is this the New Year,
Or just another night?
Is this the new fear,
Or just another fright?
Is this the new tear,
Or just another desperation?

~Blues, by Switchfoot

I know it's a bit late to be talking about New Year, but hey, give me a bit of slack.

Myself and my dad were talking at 12:15 A.M. January first, and he commented that the New Year was a non-event. As my father is normally right, I set to thinking about what he meant.

What changes in the New Year? Mostly just the date we write on checks and papers. My racing age goes up and suddenly I can't compete at Cyclocross Nationals as a Junior any more. But what else?

"It's a new beginning" people say. However, this is not something that intrinsically happens at New Year. A new beginning only happens if people make resolutions and stick to them. Humanity could pick any day to do that. If I had a conversion experience on March 14th, it could be a new beginning. So what's so special, why all the hype? The earth simply made another one of its monotonous orbits around the sun. I'm no different today than I was on Monday, I'm not suddenly wiser or suddenly holier. Why the hype?

A probable cause is that humanity has always been such that it expects its current phase (be that a mood phase, a global warming phase, a poor phase...) to go on forever. Thus, it will do anything to escape this phase, be it using drugs or alcohol, abusing others, or waiting until a new year comes around to free them from the shackles of their moods, their estate, etc.

But it is easy to see that all of these things are alterable without a new year. If you're in a bad mood, decide to be happy and go out and seize the day. If you don't like your economic state, go get a job and change it. Instead of waiting for a new year so that you can break meaningless resolutions, get up now and fix your problems. They won't be solved otherwise.

I thank God for our freedom
There's nothing wrong with enjoying things in life
Spread the word that a smile's not beyond us
This is a call to act and seize your day

~Somewhere in the Sky, by Kutless

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home