December 06, 2007

Clarification on Pleasing, Pleasure and Beauty

The difference, if I'm not mistaken, is that pleasure is the experience of enjoying something, whereas being pleased is the appreciation of something's goodness. Beauty, if you ask me, is the quality of showing forth goodness. Of course, we often mistake showing forth physical goodness for having goodness beyond the physical, and it's possible for appearances to "lie", but I'm pretty sure those don't negate the basic principle. Also, this explanation should show both why material beauty is so overrated and why spiritual beauty is so much better. See, material beauty is more apparent to those who tend to live (as in focus their life on) the material world. However, as spirit is a greater thing, it necessarily shows forth goodness more strongly and it is only our weak blindness that stops us from seeing it. So, with all that said, you may now go back to doing whatever you do when you're not arguing with me (unless you want to argue with me now, in which case expect me to be grumpy as I'm already stressed enough with finals about to be here).

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Kyle Cupp said...

While I think we can distinguish between physical beauty and spiritual beauty, I think ultimately they are the same thing. The beauty we see is incarnational.

December 11, 2007 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home