March 27, 2009

What a wonderful new administration we have!

I apologize. I was in a bit of a bad mood when I first posted this. I've added a note at the bottom, please read it.

News story at TheVoiceMagazine.com

Let's have three cheers for unconstitutional BS! For crying out loud, if you want to just ignore the entire sentiment, spirit, and basis of our whole society, go ahead and burn the constitution, exterminate all dissenters, and move on with your communist superstate. This bill had better get 100% opposition from every person who considers themselves american and from everyone who believes in simply following the laws we have in place.

How long has the new administration been in office? Two months? This is one of their first acts as the leaders of our country. Imagine how bad this can get if this is one of the first things they do. Goodbye tax exemption.

Granted, some of you may not agree with my religious sentiments, but at the very least you can understand that the government has no right to take away my right to attend mass every sunday if I want to. I thought America was created so that people didn't have to move somewhere else in order to be Christian. Wasn't that the whole reason that the pilgrims came here in the first place? What happened?

I can see some of the arguments that could be raised in favor of this clause in the bill. By accepting federal money, the young people become employees, or at least representatives, of the state, and as such the state's policy of no-established-religion applies to them. This statement is absolutely true, and if the bill stated that all recipients of federal loans had to become Christian, Buddhist, or Muslim I would very much oppose it. However, this employment, or representation, does not remove the person's right to free exercise, the very next clause in the first ammendment. Senators can still attend Mass (even if they ought to be excommunicated). As individual representatives of the youth of the United States, the ideal of "freedom to exercize one's own religion" ought to apply to them threefold, not be revoked. No logic whatsoever can possibly support this.

I, as a devoted patriot and loyal American, am forced to oppose this bill because it destroys the very union which the constitution created. The ideals, the morals, and the people who make up this nation cannot be so blindly and malignantly cast aside. Give me this liberty, or give me emmigration to some other country where I can practice my American ideals.

~Ambrose

This is the text of the bill as given in the Library of Congress website, showing that I'm not making this up. The version of the bill linked is the one that will be voted on in the senate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright, so instead of first rationally reading the senate bill, I posted. After a bit of discussion with my friends around campus, I've rethought a bit, and feel like I was succombing to the alarmism which I warned against in my previous post. I've looked at the text of the bill again.

HR 1388 Sec 132A
Prohibited Activities- An approved national service position under this subtitle may not be used for the following activities:

This means that officially sanctioned activities. Or, in other words, things that you would do for public service. Thus, the bill itself does not directly prohibit any activites, it just defines what kinds of public service you can do.

The list quoted in the article was from this section, so while no public service could build churches, give religious instruction, or street preaching, the individual members of public service, in their free time, are not prohibited from doing any of the above, or attending church.

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jon Cap said...

You should update your article at the Voice with the true facts. Many people leaving comments there are just feeding into their hate frenzy in the name of Christian values based on your initial assessment.

It would be irresponsible not to.

Namely that the House Resolution stipulates Terms of Service, as you have now stated.

Next time you should look up Nazism. It was a one-party state with a dictator that killed millions of people and instilled prejudices in its citizens. That does not adhere to Christian values.

April 25, 2009 2:58 AM  
Blogger Ambrose said...

The article at The Voice isn't mine- if I could update it I would.

However, I don't understand what you meant by your comment on Nazism. What did you mean?

April 25, 2009 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home