March 02, 2008

A brief thought on all things visible and invisible

I almost always have either a song, an idea, or a line from something I’ve read or heard, stuck in my head. Sometimes all three at once. A few days ago, though, it was a line from the creed- "all that is seen and unseen." We believe in God and that he created all that is seen and unseen. I was musing on how sometimes it’s understandably hard to believe in something invisible. It takes faith.

When I heard the Gospel this morning, that thought recurred to me in a startlingly different way- sometimes it’s just as hard to believe in something you can see.

Today’s Gospel is about physical and spiritual sight. The blind man could and did see spiritually; the Pharisees chose not to. The resulting miracle manifested God’s power visibly- and still they chose a spiritual blindness over putting their faith into something even they realized was obvious.

In what ways do we find it hard to accept the signs before our eyes? What gets in the way of our spiritual vision- or what do we put in the way- or why do we turn away?

~Mari

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Vicki said...

This is so true, Mari. I always thank God that I live now and not then, because I don't think I could have believed if I had seen it.

Although, of course, it's not really about my ability. (:

March 07, 2008 6:36 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

oh, and, in case you're unaware of my webpersona, it's Vik. (:

March 07, 2008 6:37 PM  
Blogger Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

Hi, Vik!

...I've nothing else to say except some unappreciative comments on the USCCB and choices of words, which I think I'll keep to myself. My, what distractions I have.

March 08, 2008 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home