July 27, 2007

Women are not better than men.

The title is a statement I often make when gender or sexism comes up as a topic for discussion. Feminists immediately launch off about how MEN are not superior to women, as if I had offended some universal maxim, when all I did was reinforce gender "equality" as they call it.

However, equality is by far an inferior term. Men and women should never be considered to be absolutely equal and substitutable, so that anything a woman can do a man can, and vice versa. Such a statement is obviously false, as a woman cannot fertilize an egg and a man cannot give birth. Of course, I am all for "equal work for equal pay," and other truly just things. But when women insist absolutely absurd things, for example when they attempt to force men to urinate sitting down because it is an "expression of masculine superiority that is demeaning to women," they entirely forego justice and are instead trying to enforce feminine superiority, not equality.

To my above statement, many people would insist that it is just and fair because women were subjugated and oppressed throughout history until the present time. Although that may be partially true, I don't think it was as widespread or as bad as some make it out to be. I am absolutely certain that the majority of women enjoyed staying at home and raising families - I know many women who do just that, and honestly they are the happiest women I've ever met. Throughout history there have been female rulers, the first to come to mind are Cleopatra and several English queens including Mary Queen of Scotts and Elizabeth I.

"But women were not allowed to go to college even if they did want to because they were the 'weaker sex,'" some would say. Although I have no access to historical records or other sources that would support my theory, common sense leads me to come up with many other reasons women did not attend universities. There may have been no facilities to accomodate women at universities in those days. In a time when few women aspired to be lawyers or doctors, the schools that taught such arts would have had no reason to install women's bathrooms or dormitories. In such conditions, the colleges could hardly house a woman in a way that was due her dignity.

~Ambrose

3 Comments:

Blogger Vicki said...

Good thoughts--your post, however, seems to belittle the times and cultures where women were genuinely undertrampled.
From a woman's standpoint, I think modern-day feminism actually undoes itself. In constantly striving after equality, what they often end up actually doing is trying to make women like men. I like to call myself an "original feminist"--gunning for women as women. (:

July 27, 2007 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good points all around.

I'd like to make it clear, though, that it doesn't really matter how much or how little women were mistreated in the past. The actions of my ancestors are as accidental as my skin color. America is about giving everybody a fair chance.

When they say that it's to make up for the unfair treatment of the past, you can either quote the old proverb "Two wrongs don't make a right," or else you can quote me: "If your grandfather had been a criminal who never got caught and punished, so they punished you instead, would you consider it fair?"

~Yeah, I, "guess who", am still the same guy.

July 30, 2007 2:22 PM  
Blogger Lady W said...

You might want to add that women have been Saints and world leaders, too, not just successful politicians- like St. Margaret of Scotland and St. Erzsebet of Hungary...

August 30, 2007 2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home